Monday, September 17, 2007

Handicapping Dave White's Award Chances


















Given the rather obscene amount of networking done by Dave White, WHEN ONE MAN DIES may be considered for some awards this upcoming season. But does he really have a chance of winning any of them? Here's the rundown.

THE EDGAR AWARD. This is a jury award, largely based on literary quality. This alone may cause problems for Mr. White. However, everybody already knows that the best first novel award will be awarded to Marcus Sakey. It is well known that this award always goes to the best looking new author. I mean, it's not like the judges actually read these books.

THE ANTHONY AWARD. Based on a popular vote, which means that the author has to be charming and personally popular. Needless to say, Mr. White won't be competitive.

THE SHAMUS AWARD. Since Jackson Donne is a PI, you think Mr. White might have a chance for best first novel. But all I can say in response is two words: Sean Chercover.

THE AGATHA AWARD. Rumor is, Jackson Donne buys a cat at the end of WHEN ONE MAN DIES and opens an antique shop in a small town. Sorry, Mr. White, this still isn't good enough for an Agatha.

THE BARRY AWARD. Remind me what this is again? I think Sarah Weinman helps pick them, so White may definitely have a chance with this one.

THE GUMSHOE AWARD. Otherwise known as the "David Montgomery" award. I believe Dave White once bought a drink for Mr. Montgomery at a Bouchercon once. So I would say Mr. White's chances of winning this award are about even.

7 comments:

Dave White said...

You're insane. Hilarious, but insane.

When's the podcast?

plot baby plot said...

I'm still setting up the equipment.

Sarah Weinman said...

I want a videoblog, dammit.

Dave White said...

So lemme get this straight... I can't review TV shows? Something I've been doing for years?

Oh and if you want restaurant reviews check my blog archive summer 2005

plot baby plot said...

Your blog is too fluff-heavy for my tastes. But we can discuss this issue further during the upcoming podcast interview.

David J. Montgomery said...

Bullshit, he bought me a drink!

I'm still waiting for it.

Cheap bastard.

Dave White said...

You didn't count on the Strand's Critic's Award, did you?

mwa haha